Auglaize County Courthouse | Auglaize County QuickFacts | New Knoxville Sesquicentennial

Golden Triangle Stats - 2000 | Golden Triangle Maps (.pdf) | “Dear Old St. Marys Forever” 

 

Auglaize County Courthouse

 

In 1848, Auglaize County was established from parcels of Allen, Mercer, Shelby, Darke and Van Wert Counties and Wapakoneta was established as the county seat.  The first building to be used as a courthouse was one owned by John H. Nichols which was rented for $60 per year.

The original Auglaize County Courthouse, sharing 3 lots on South Blackhoof Street, was built in 1850 at a cost of $11,499.  The jail and sheriff’s residence were completed next door the next year at a cost of $3,950. This courthouse served the people of Auglaize County for 45 years.

On July 2, 1893, excavation began for the new 3-level courthouse on a city block bounded by Willipie, Pearl, Perry and Mechanic Streets.  The total cost, including all fees, furnishings, power plant, landscaping and sidewalks totaled $259,481 - an extravagant amount for that time.

County commissioners and other local officials took possession of the building in December 1894.

On July 7, 1994, in honor of the 100th anniversary of the courthouse, a community celebration was held.  It was entitled Moonwalk ’94 to honor the 25th anniversary of Wapakoneta native Neil Armstrong’s historic July 20, 1969 walk on the moon.   [lmf]

 

Auglaize County Courthouse | Auglaize County QuickFacts | New Knoxville Sesquicentennial

Golden Triangle Stats - 2000 | Golden Triangle Maps (.pdf) | “Dear Old St. Marys Forever” 

 

HOME / SITE MAP